Thursday, September 26, 2013

Reading During Banned Books Week

http://nnedi.com/images/akatawitch.jpg
Being an avid reader and Creative Writing major, I can't help writing about Banned Books Week. Especially when I'm sure the book I'm currently reading could be banned. I'm halfway through the YA novel Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor, a novel about a young woman in Nigeria who finds out she is a Leopard Person (aka she can do magic). I am loving this book but can't help thinking that some one could challenge this book because there is witchcraft in it and "unnecessary violence."                                                        
                                                                                                                                             
This seems so silly to me because growing up my parents never challenged or asked questions about the books I read. My high school even celebrated Banned Books Week by educating us about the First Amendment and the right to read what we want. I believe that no book should be banned. If concerned adults are worried about their kids sucking up the wrong information from books, talk to them! Teach them what is unacceptable and what is not. Read books with them or discuss themes that are addressed! Be open minded so children can become open minded. No one should be worried about being judged for what they read. And authors should be able to write what they want to write about.

I have read many banned and challenged books so far and plan on reading more. Authors want to challenge the norms of society so we can all learn more about ourselves. We can learn to question our own morals through these books. Life happens and is written about. Read a Banned Book to educate yourself on what is currently important. After all, under the wrong circumstances, any book can be banned.

No comments:

Post a Comment