Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Orange Peel Jello Shots

With the rise of Pinterest, it seems like everyone can craft or cook. There are so many easy recipes out there that look awesome when finished! To celebrate this, I've decided to try a new recipe or craft every week that I find on the Internet. I'm trying this not because I'm particularly crafty or a good cook. I'm trying this to show that college students and noncrafty people can try these recipes and either succeed or fail. Here's hoping more success happens than failures!

This past weekend I decide to try something new that I have seen done over and over again on Pinterest. Orange peels used as cups for jello shots.  How hard could it be? Everyone else seemed to be able to do it. I took my guidance from Savory Reviews back when it was done in 2009, although a lot of people have still been experimenting with fruit and jello. Here's what theirs looked like:

http://www.savoryreviews.com/2009/09/16/orange-slice-jello-shots/
I began with 4 oranges, orange jello, and Pearl Wedding Cake Vodka. My goal was to make the shots taste like a dreamsicle or orange cake.

The hardest step was trying to get all the pulp out of the orange.  I knew this would be a struggle, but didn't realize how awful it would be.  I had orange guts everywhere.  As I dug into those oranges I slowly got covered in juice.  I soon figured out if I carved out the orange towards the bowl it worked better. It still was a big mess and quite a hassle. But it looked good once it was done.  I only had holes in two of the orange halves and they weren't big.  

 I let them stay in the fridge over night and for the whole next day.  They jello came out perfect.  Cutting the halves into slices was also harder than I thought, but this also might be because the knife I used wasn't the sharpest.  Broken college student problems.  I served them to some of my friends Saturday night and they all loved them!  They said they tasted just like creamsicles!




I would say this is a fun thing to try. It just takes patience and an extra pair of helping hands the first time through. Not sure if I will definitely do this again, but it was fun to show my friends when they were finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment